Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mediation


Last week I took a mediation training course. It was very interesting to look at ways to resolve disputes between parties without litigation. This can be especially helpful in Probate Court when addressing will contests, guardianship (though incapacity can not be determined in mediation), inventory and accounting disputes and fiduciary issues. Another growing area for this practice is in Elder law.

Mediation allows me, as a neutral third party, to work with the disputing parties. My role as a trained mediator is to help parties listen to and talk with each other. I help them gain clarity on their options and the possibilities for moving forward. Often in this process, the parties gain a better understanding of each other's point of view. It is not my role to make the decisions for them or even tell them what to do. Nor, do I act as an advocate for either of the parties. In this transformative mediation process, parties if allowed the necessary space can begin to resolve their own conflict and in turn can save themselves and, if an estate is involved, the estate the growing expense of litigation.

I particularly like mediation because it empowers the individual in the decision making process. As the process progresses, in many cases, you can see the shift that all parties make towards reaching an amicable resolution. It is one that they take ownership of because it was not imposed upon them by legal system. If you happen to be in a dispute, consider mediation. I can help you with that choice. Contact my office today.

No comments: