Saturday, February 7, 2009

NINTH of TEN Hot Estate Planning Topics


NINTH, women in the United States today control 75 percent of the total personal wealth, fill more than half the jobs and for the first time in history, account for nearly half of all substantial investors — those with more than $100,000 of investable assets. In my practice, I find that women are MORE likely than men to be the ones seeking to protect their assets with estate planning. This differs from the observation from many others.

I believe it is the way that I conduct my estate planning practice. First, women (and many men) tend to want to get to know their advisor as a person before making choices. Second, building rapport with women clients involves good listening skills which comes natural for me. Third, women want to work with someone who respects their thought processes and who does not rush to an immediate solution. All of which are the hallmarks of my practice.

I know it is equally important to focus my attention on women as well as men when working with families on estate planning. Women need and want to participate jointly in the creation of a family plan that ensures there will be enough to live on in the event of the death of a spouse.

Are you working with an advisor who values your views and makes you feel comfortable? What is important for you when choosing an attorney to handle your estate planning? Let's chat about it here.

No comments: