Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson - KING OF POP - Dies at 50 - Estate Planning


Stop the presses!!! Yesterday, when I heard about Michael Jackson's death, I was really in shock. He was THE pop icon. More importantly, I grew up on his music. I remember each phase of his musical genius. I loved the Jackson Five!!! Who didn't at 13 and 14 in the 70's. And then, solo, Michael Jackson in the 80's, 90's and beyond. His music evolved and gather new fans throughout the ages. There are just so many favorites that I have. But I will share that I just took "Man in the Mirror" as my personal mantra: "If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a CHANGE!!! Oh, yes!!

But, let me tell you Michael Jackson's death now will be for me a continued reason to talk, LOUDLY, about the essentials of Estate Planning. I do not know whether Michael Jackson had a will. As soon as I find out I will blog on it. But as I tell my audiences over and over, You Can Only Plan When You Are Living!!! So, for now we can hope that Michael Jackson did. Time will tell.

What is at stake? He has 3 children!! (What are the rights of the mothers?) He has diverse business interest!! (Who will be in charge?) He has valuable assets!! (Who gets what, when where and how? ) He has DEBT, a lot!! (Did he engage in Asset Protection Planning? Will his debt wipe out his children's and family's inheritance?)

I will be exploring these questions and more on estate planning as the life and legacy of Michael Jackson continues to unfold. Our condolences to Michael Jackson's family.

Leave a comment or contact us at http://www.ythlaw.com/

No comments: