Friday, March 19, 2010

Estate Planning as a Family Conversation


I read a good article in the New York Times written by Deborah Jacobs. It was entitled Estate Planning as a Family Conversation. When I saw that article, I could immediately relate to her story.

When I wrote Stop! What are you waiting for? Your Step-by-Step Guide to Estate Planning, I viewed it as a way to open up the estate planning dialogue with family members, especially aging parents. It is not easy for children to discuss their parents' immortality. But, it is a fact of life. So, how do you go about doing it? What happens if you do not do it? Determine the answer to that question and that will be the basis of the conversation. Then you use a guide, like my book, to provide substantive information to the discussion.

In the New York Times article, the father was estanged (but not divorced) for over 30 years from his wife. He wanted his children to receive his assets. Without a will and in the state where he lived, upon his death, his wife would receive his entire estate. He had to plan to reach his desired result.

Contact us at http://www.ythlaw.com/ or leave your comments here.

No comments: