Friday, January 8, 2010

Durable Power of Attorney


I received a call the other day from the daughter of one of my clients. Her parents have been my clients for about 5 years. The wife, an avid swimmer in her late 70s, was the caregiver of her husband who now has advanced dementia. Unexpectantly, the wife died and with her the location of the power of attorney for her husband which had been removed from the safety deposit box since she had been using it given his illness. The daughter was the alternate agent.

In my practice, I counsel my clients to maintain their documents in one of 2 places, a safety deposit box or a safe at home that is waterproof and fireproof. My clients had followed that advise. With the Durable Power of Attorney, also referred to as the General Power of Attorney, it is important to have more than 1 original, 3 is preferable. Fortunately, for my clients' daughter, I maintain one of the 3 originals. Without the power of attorney, the daughter would have had to institute costly guardianship procedures in order to handle her father's affairs. Her parents' advanced planning alleviated that expense.

It is important to seek legal advise and guidance because it is not just the preparation of documents that is important but the details of the process. Our experience dictates the importance. Leave your comments here or contact us at http://www.ythlaw.com/

No comments: