Sunday, March 1, 2009

Your Story, Your Legacy


I feel very strongly that your story is your personal legacy worth more than any "tangible" ie money, etc. asset you may have. Helping to encourage people to tell their story in some documented way, either by writing a book, an article, creating a memoir, making an audio or video recording, is part of what I do. This part of my practice, as well, excites me and keeps me motivated.

It all started simply, with my Dad. When my sister, brother and I were very young my Dad was writing a book. He stopped after a while and we never noticed him working on it anymore. Over 30 years later, my sister asked him whatever happened to his "book". He just said he got writer's block and stored it away in the attic. What really happened was that he came to a part of his life story that was beyond the pain he wanted to revisit. In 2006, after much prodding and encouragement from my sister and I, he published his first book; Between God and Me - A Korean War Veteran Remembers. After I read the book, I realized the painful memory that my Dad hoped to forget. But the reality is that we can not forget the pain like we can not forget the joy of our life. What we can do is share it and in ways beyond our expectations be healed and heal others. That gift of writing his story has been one of the most meaningful things my Dad has given me. It is the reason that I encourage my clients to create a legacy by not only ascertaining their "money" assets but their intangible (non-money) wealth. I never know what might happen from there. If, like my Dad, the writing could become a new found passion. Since 2006, after completing now 3 BOOKS, my Dad is working on his 4TH.

AND of course, he has encouraged me in my writing to share with my clients and others, Stop! What are You Waiting For? Your Essential Guide to Estate Planning.

1 comment:

Christine said...

How lucky you are to have the legacy your father has written for you. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it! We had a wonderful time yesterday. Your farther is so proud of you and his praise is part of why you have taken such excellent care of your clients and your paralegal! Thanks…