Thursday, July 19, 2012

Planning Ahead - Get Your Affairs in Order

Woody Allen is credited with saying, “If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.”  I would be the first to admit that we certainly aren’t in control of as much as we’d like to think we are.  So, in my estate planning with clients, I like to take a look at where they have been.  That is the back story, the legacy piece that we ALL have and that keeps my work interesting, intriguing and varied.

More than plan, I create a map, of sorts, for my clients.  The future has many twists and turns, alternative routes, hills and valleys.  Our estate planning "map" could include Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Gifting, etc.  It provides for our intentions BUT allows the details to unfold in accordance with the universal principles.  The estate planning  "map" for each client has flexibility and often is updated with changing circumstances.

Once we have our  estate planning "map" which details our wishes, needs and desires, we can focus with clarity around our intent and accept that the details are not within our control, only our intentions.  Contact us at www.ythlaw.com

No comments: