Monday, July 5, 2010

Estate Planning Moment in the Poconos



Over the Fourth of July Weekend, we spent sometime in the Poconos so our daughter could enjoy the indoor waterpark. Later during the weekend, while my husband played golf, I was lounging on the pristine shores of Lake Harmony and my daughter was taking in the water sports. I soon struck up a conversation with another vacationer and before long the conversation turned to estate planning. Ok, I just can't help myself...I love estate planning.

The question pertained to providing for your children, upon your death, when you are estranged from your husband. You need to understand that without a will, the intestate laws would distribute over 1/2 of your estate to your spouse. Even with a will, the spouse can not be disinherited. The spouse is entitled to an elective share unless there are circumstances to justify otherwise, but that would have to be proven and remember, this is after you have passed.

So, I was able to provide my fellow vacationer with some food for thought. She said that she looked forward to purchasing my book, Stop! What are you waiting for? Your Step-by-Step Guide to Estate Planning so she could be prepared for her meeting with an estate planning attorney in her state. Feel free to contact us at http://www.ythlaw.com/

No comments: