Friday, February 11, 2011

Powers of Attorney and Wills for the "What ifs" and "When"


I am on the way to a Nursing Home. The reason for this visit happens all to often but could be avoided with planning. Why do we wait? What do we procrastinate?

Today, when I meet with this client and their family (generally a son or daughter), I have to first determine whether the client still has the capacity to execute specific documents like a will or power of attorney. If that huddle can not be met, then the son or daughter will have to initiate guardianship procedures to address financial matters and certain healthcare matters. The window for creating a will is now closed if the client no longers has capacity.

Unfortunately for many, when we are healthy and able bodied, we do not focus on the "what ifs" (I become incapacitated, etc.) or the "when" (death happens). However, this is the time to take care of our "business". It will save you time and money in the long run. Though I do make more when you procrastinate, that is not why I do what I do. I want families to have their documents in place for the "what ifs" and the "when". If you do, then you do not have to be addressing legal matters when your focus should be on the emotional aspects of the "what ifs" and the "when".

Contact us today at http://www.ythlaw.com/ for all your probate and estate planning needs.

No comments: